The 14th annual Washington County Museum Ramble, held throughout the month of May, features more than 30 participating museums and historic sites located in Washington County, most of which open their doors free of charge. Many have special programming planned for the weekends of the Ramble.
“The Museum Ramble is a great opportunity for visitors and locals to explore Washington County’s rich art, history and heritage¬¬ at a self-guided pace,” said Dan Spedden, who promotes the county.
Of Maryland’s 300-plus museums, more than 10 percent are in Washington County. The Museum Ramble is the perfect way to showcase those diverse museums.
“No matter what your interests are – fine arts, rural heritage, American history, black history, geology or trains – you’re sure to enjoy a ramble through this year’s selection of Washington County museums,” said Washington County Association of Museums and Historical Sites President Bill Knode.
Participating museums and historic sites include:
- Antietam National Battlefield, Sharpsburg, MD
- Boonsborough Museum of History, Boonsboro, MD
- Boonsboro Trolley Station Museum, Boonsboro, MD
- Bowles House Visitor Center on the C&O Canal, Hancock, MD
- Bowman House, Boonsboro, MD
- Brown’s Meeting House, Clear Spring, MD
- C&O Canal – Cushwa Basin, Williamsport, MD
- Children’s Village of Washington County, Hagerstown, MD
- Discovery Station, Hagerstown, MD
- First Hagerstown Hose Company Museum of Firefighting History, Hagerstown, MD
- Fort Frederick State Park, Clear Spring, MD
- Gathland State Park, Burkittsville, MD
- Hagerstown Aviation Museum, Hagerstown, MD
- Hagerstown Railroad Museum & Engine 202, Hagerstown, MD
- Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum, Hagerstown, MD
- Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area Exhibit & Visitor Center at Newcome House, Keedysville, MD
- Jonathan Hager House & Museum, Hagerstown, MD
- The Kennedy Farm, Sharpsburg, MD
- The Mansion House Art Center, Hagerstown, MD
- Miller House, Hagerstown, MD
- Pry House Field Hospital Museum, Keedysville, MD
- Saint Thomas’ Parish, Hancock, Hancock, MD
- Sharpsburg Historical Society, Sharpsburg, MD
- Smithsburg Historical Society, Smithsburg, MD
- Springfield Barn, Williamsport, MD
- St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Boonsboro, MD
- Tolson’s Chapel, Sharpsburg, MD
- Washington County Arts Council, Inc., Hagerstown, MD
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, MD
- Washington County Rural Heritage Museum, Boonsboro, MD
- Williamsport Town Museum, Welcome Center & Art Gallery, Williamsport, MD
- Wilson County Store, Clear Spring, MD
Museum Ramble brochures are available at participating sites and at the CVB Visitor Center, located at 6 North Potomac Street in downtown Hagerstown. Information is also available online at museumramble.visithagerstown.com. Some sites will be offering Ramble Rewards and special drawings will be available at numerous sites as well.